Winter’s End

A couple of weeks before Christmas I entered myself in a small game development contest on a small website. The theme was to be around Snowmen, and we had approximately 2 weeks to complete it. I only spent a few hours each day working on it, and it turned out rather choppy and slapped together – not to mention unfinished – but I entered it as it was, and am currently waiting on the results to be posted. So in the mean time, I thought I’d make a post about it, as during the second week of development I tried to record a large part of my dev process. You can see this recording in the following video (no audio): The game is based around a theme of “Snowmen”, so my idea involved the player being a snowman, off to save the world from the world-saving antics of some real … Continue reading

Code Hackery #2: Characters on a Texture

Alright so I said every week, but I really meant week-ish. To be honest, I’ve had some trouble actually finding some nice code to put for this post, so I’m going to more explain something I recently did with the Wurm client. I cannot post the actual code for NDA reasons, but I’ll give some examples. This week is a bit of easy code I whipped up for the Wurm client when I was working on replacing the old, notoriously slow text rendering code. I originally had the FontTexture object drawing all of the ASCII characters to a texture, and believed that would be enough (and in terms of performance, it would’ve been), but this also meant that any other characters that were previously supported – cyrillic, greek, etc – would either crash everything, or just show nothing.   In Wurm there are plenty of different people playing, plenty of … Continue reading