Blob War – Ludum Dare #27

So this weekend was Ludum Dare 27, and after a few times of half finishing a game or giving up before starting, I decided this time I would finish a game, and finish it properly. So I took a couple of days off work, one before the weekend to prepare and one after to recover from the lack of sleep and brain-death – and the result of which is “Bob Loblaw’s Blob War“. I’ve had the idea for this game for a while now, and I think it turned out pretty well for a weekend type deal. The only problem was the theme being shoehorned into the game cause it to fall flat if you aren’t thinking of the theme at all. The theme is “10 seconds” by the way. So the time mechanic was based around that theme, and the placement of units was made around that 10 second … Continue reading

BioBattle – Ludum Dare #23 Game

Well I finished my entry for Ludum Dare early in the morning today, and have now had a sleep to refresh myself, so it is a good time to write a post about my experience.   The idea for BioBattle comes from an old game I played many years ago that has dropped off the planet, called Battlethingz. Feel free to search that name, you’re not likely to find much about it, believe me, I’ve tried. Battlethingz was a pretty small multiplayer game where you and your opponent each had a monster that you battled against each other with. That monster was something of your own creation out of various parts. Each of those parts gave your monster a different skill to use in battle. It was a very different take on strategy and battle games like Pokemon. For BioBattle, I decided to do something along the likes of Battlethingz, … Continue reading

Ludum Dare #23

Just a quick post to say that I am entering Ludum Dare 23 this weekend. As of this writing it starts in 2 hours, so no idea what I’ll be making yet. I was planning to repost the blog posts I make on the Ludum Dare site, but since there is no easy way I’ll just give you this link. If you are interested in what’s going on (and if I post during the competition), it will be here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/budda/ On a related note, I will be creating a timelapse of the 48 hours, so I’ll have a video up with the finished game after it is all done. Wish me luck.

Winter’s End

A couple of weeks before Christmas I entered myself in a small game development contest on a small website. The theme was to be around Snowmen, and we had approximately 2 weeks to complete it. I only spent a few hours each day working on it, and it turned out rather choppy and slapped together – not to mention unfinished – but I entered it as it was, and am currently waiting on the results to be posted. So in the mean time, I thought I’d make a post about it, as during the second week of development I tried to record a large part of my dev process. You can see this recording in the following video (no audio): The game is based around a theme of “Snowmen”, so my idea involved the player being a snowman, off to save the world from the world-saving antics of some real … Continue reading

Code Hackery #2: Characters on a Texture

Alright so I said every week, but I really meant week-ish. To be honest, I’ve had some trouble actually finding some nice code to put for this post, so I’m going to more explain something I recently did with the Wurm client. I cannot post the actual code for NDA reasons, but I’ll give some examples. This week is a bit of easy code I whipped up for the Wurm client when I was working on replacing the old, notoriously slow text rendering code. I originally had the FontTexture object drawing all of the ASCII characters to a texture, and believed that would be enough (and in terms of performance, it would’ve been), but this also meant that any other characters that were previously supported – cyrillic, greek, etc – would either crash everything, or just show nothing.   In Wurm there are plenty of different people playing, plenty of … Continue reading

A Little Explanation

Since I haven’t actually shared much details about what I’m planning to make, I thought I might as well do a quick post on it to show people.   As you can tell from the last post, I have been working with 2D terrain generation, which the game will obviously be built around. Apart from that being one of the main features that I’m doing, other things include making pretty much nothing hard-coded. Currently my project’s name in Eclipse is “Dynamic”, due to my lack of imagination mostly, and to help remind myself to not take shortcuts. The problem is that I often forget that wee part, and have to go back over something I’ve just coded, and re-do it so stuff isn’t hard coded, which can sometimes be a pain. Other times it is quite helpful, because it allows me to go back over something I’ve just got running, … Continue reading

Two Months Later…

If this was any other blog, you’d either think that two months without posting means either the owner is working on something huge, or has died a horrible death. Well good news! Neither of them are the case, I’m just lazy, although I do have something new to show. In the past couple of days, I’ve been screwing around with the idea of my 2d game, and been slowly chipping away at it. Of course because its only a couple of days old, theres not much to it, except this: I know, I know, its awesome. All it is, is the launcher for the game, that I hope to actually finish. The bits of text on the ‘rock’ are buttons, that…somewhat work. The exit and login buttons work, and actually do something. I dare you to guess what they do. At this point in time, after ‘logging in’ (not really … Continue reading